Self concept and esteem – What is it, how is develop and how to improve it
What is self concept
Self concept It is how you know and understand yourself. It is the mental and conceptual understanding that you hold for your existence. There are two important parts to consider about your self concept:
- Your self image. This includes how you see yourself and how you think that others see you. If the image you hold about yourself is poor , then your self esteem and confidence are low. How you think about you will influence how you respond to your life and the decisions you take. This includes your beliefs, attitudes and opinions.
- Your self esteem. How you feel about yourself (emotional) . You have your own personal views, characteristics and beliefs about your mind and body that shapes your self esteem.
You can have a positive or a negative self concept. This attitude will determine either a good self esteem or a low self esteem and insecurity. If you are insecure you have poor levels of confidence .
How your develop your self concept
Your self concept is developed through our interactions with others. Your thoughts, beliefs and actions are affected by how you feel about you, your self esteem and confidence. It determines the relationship you have with others and influences how you respond to experiences and difficulties in life.
The environment is also important. It acts as a mirror that reflects back to you images of yourself. Your experiences help to create your self esteem. The strength and weaknesses that were learned as children are internalized as concepts and affect the way you act as an adult today, according to your beliefs and how you feel.
How to improve your self concept
- Recognize your strengths so that you can improve your confidence.
- Praise yourself often and accentuate the positive
- Develop a more positive attitude
- Spend time with friend that will support you and will not put you down
Ask the following questions:
- How your beliefs that you have about you influence your thoughts and actions?.
- How accurately do you know yourself?.
- What do you do well?. how can I improve confidence?.
- What do you look like?.
- How do you relate to others?.
Self concept is not fixed permanently. Part of it is dynamic and changing. You can learn to improve your self concept. To improve you must change , is a process that occurs over life time.
Improvement starts with learning to accept and love yourself. Improvement also means being acknowledged and loved by others. It does not matter were you are at the present moment or what is your level of self esteem, what matters is that you can change and improve your self concept.
- Focus on your strengths recognize your good qualities and be more positive.
- How to Know Yourself and improve your ability to see yourself clearly.